Are you self -conscious about your smile?
Do you have teeth that are permanently stained, uneven, worn down or chipped make you feel less confident and wide your smile?
An inexpensive and a quick solution to create a uniform, bright and a beautiful smile are laminates and veneers.
These are among the recent developments of cosmetic dentistry also known as Porcelain Veneers or Dental veneers.
Veneers are a thin layer of restorative material placed over the labial surface i.e. the front surface of your teeth in order to improve the aesthetics or to improve the damaged or injured tooth surface.
Amongst the many features few to list are:
- Veneers give a natural look to the tooth due to its translucency and offer a good bonding as compared to other veneering system.
- Veneers give an excellent aesthetic quality as it avoids the use of any metal structures.
- These are the most conservative restoration as it preserves good amount of the natural teeth.
Why choose veneers?
- Discolored teeth
- Teeth that are worn down, chipped or broken.
- Misaligned teeth, uneven or irregularly shaped teeth.
- Closure of Diastemas i.e. spacing in teeth.
- Cases where bleaching or teeth whitening is contraindicated.
- Fractured teeth-Teeth can be restored to normal form with laminate veneers.
However Veneers do come with some limitations too which are:
- Veneers cannot be placed on any unhealthy tooth i.e. with a cavity or any periodontal problem(gum disease)
- Veneers are usually not repairable if they chip off or crack.
- Veneers are not a good choice to people who clench and grind their teeth.
At the dentist’s office
A thorough examination of your mouth and teeth is done. The dentist will shave a bit of your tooth enamel around 0.5 to 0.7 mm of thickness.
An impression is taken which is sent to the laboratory for the fabrication of veneers which takes around a week.
Once the fabrication is done the dentist will place the veneer on the prepared tooth to check the fit and aesthetic results.
For very unsightly teeth temporary veneers can be placed. For the application of veneer, the tooth is cleansed with specific chemicals to achieve a bond.
Special cement is sandwiched between the veneer and tooth and a light beam is used to harden the cement.
Finally excess cement is removed; evaluation of bite is done and making final adjustments in veneer as necessary.
Maintenance of veneers
- One should avoid food, tea and coffee during the initial 3-4 days.
- Good oral hygiene should be maintained which includes brushing and flossing.
- Excessive biting habits like nail biting and pencil chewing and biting on hard food pieces should be avoided.
- Avoid fluoride mouth rinses and chlorhexidine based mouth rinses.
As the world strives towards perfection and excellence aesthetics and beauty have also gained importance and one of the best and inexpensive ways to return the original lusture of your smile are Laminates and Veneers.